Build a relationship with a natural world that is overflowing with abundant, wild, edible, nutritious, medicinal plants. Learn their names & get to know them, along with folklore & stories from the past.
This Workshop will be held at the Forest School in the Wairarapa (more info below) - which is located at 791 Mikimiki Road, Masterton. This workshop is targeted at adults, however this is a great opportunity for you to discover the Forest School and perhaps return with your children another time.
Join Felicity for a wander around the Forest School outdoor environment to learn about commonly found, wild, edible weeds.
By the end of the workshop you will:
- understand the basic principles of foraging, including sustainable harvesting
- feel confident in identifying 10-15 wild edible plants
- know about their nutritional & medicinal benefits
- know about common toxic/dangerous plants to avoid when foraging
- know about the best ways to prepare your foraged greens for maximum nutritional benefit & flavor
- feel empowered to include foraged greens in your everyday diet
Walk away with hands on, practical skills & knowledge that you can use in your own life.
Investment includes hands on wild weed walk & discussion, cup of foraged herbal tea & wildly delicious foraged snack.
The Forest School is an open space on Hella Coenen and Joep de Greeuw’s property “New Forest” under mature native trees next to a shallow creek of pure drinkable spring water, set on the edge of a large area of regenerating land, close to the Tararua Park entrance. This natural learning environment is available for school children, kindergarten and child care centres to visit. A place where children can enjoy an unstructured time in nature, where they can get muddy, take perceived risks, challenge themselves, explore and discover the beauty and wonder of our natural living world.